The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



9.02.2011

Getting Closer to the Cure

It’s been a long summer. Last I updated I was beginning to feel better from the enzyme therapy I was doing with a doctor. Well, after a very stressful 2 weeks of a major parenting challenge, ALL of my symptoms came back. I felt disappointed and hopeless, and became very depressed. That, coupled with the stress from the challenge I was facing, actually brought me to a point where I didn’t want to live anymore. If you’ve ever been in the place you know how scary it is. I was sick and afraid and I had nowhere to turn for help. So I did the parasite cleanse. It did nothing. No die-off symptoms, no improvement in how I felt. Nothing. The good news: I can now rest assured I’m not full of worms. With that checked off my list I continued to search for answers. My intern suggested I may have leaky guy syndrome, so I researched that. I found that leaky gut, colitis, and IBS all have one thing in common, and it was one of the few things I hadn’t tried before. They are all helped by eliminating gluten from the diet. So I did that (I had been eating 2-4 slices of sprouted grain bread daily to help stabilize my blood sugar). I was afraid my blood sugar would go crazy if I stopped eating bread all together, so I found a gluten-free bread that is egg-free and sweetened with fruit juice instead of sugar like all the others. A week later I was still not feeling well, in a slightly different way, but not well just the same. The bread just felt very fake to me and my body didn’t respond well to it. I took a leap of faith and stopped eating bread all together. Another 2 weeks went by, still no improvement. I was still painfully bloated and tired all the time. I started looking into how to do a juice fast with hypoglycemia, but I didn’t get the best feeling about it. I was going to try and do as much juice and blended food as possible for a few weeks when I remembered my doctor saying she thinks I’m sugar intolerant, even to the point where a piece of fruit is too much for my body. Well, with hypoglycemia I pretty much live on fruit. I can’t digest raw vegetables, so I eat fruit and nuts and blend or juice a lot of leafy greens. I was really afraid to try going without any sugar, but I was also afraid of how I was feeling. I started researching after last Sunday evening when I almost went to the hospital because I was so sick I was afraid I was going to lose consciousness or die. My stomach was so full of air I was having trouble breathing. I was so bloated it felt like my guts were stretched to the max. I was having sharp pains in my colon and had large lumps all over my abdomen. I couldn’t stay awake the entire day. I couldn’t lay down more than a few minutes at night without sitting up to make myself burp so I could breath for a few seconds. I was irritable. I was having a lot of muscle pain and tension. I was often dizzy. When I stood up my head would pound and I would feel faint. I was often shaky and weak. I did a few days of studying, said a prayer, and jumped off the no sugar cliff. This is the end of day 2 with no sugar. I feel better than I have in as long as I can remember. I’m still bloated (though not as much and I no longer have the feeling of air in my stomach), and I’ve had some nausea and a whole lot of hunger and fruit cravings. I’m needing a lot of protein and cooked vegetables to get me through this, so I’m eating eggs, raw cheese, some pasteurized cheese, vegetables (mostly cooked), and germinated nuts and seeds, plus my regular wheatgrass and vegetable juice. I’m still bloated, but not painfully. I’m a little less tired than I was. I do not feel shaky or weak and am less irritable and tired. But the greatest thing is that the terrifying unbalanced-out-of-control-inside-myself feeling is gone. I feel “stable,” that’s the best way I can describe it. I will be eating this way for a total of 2-weeks, at which point I will try one sugar/carb food per day and see how it affects me. Many people find this process works as sort of a “reset” and afterward they are able to tolerate foods like fruit, natural sweeteners, and cacao (all things my body reacted negatively to before). Pray for me! I’m very much missing raw and the lightness that comes along with it. I’m feeling very heavy eating all this cooked food. I’ve realized through this that I actually LOVE raw food, it’s become more to me than just a necessary requirement for healing. Also, more extensive testing has been done and after a 2 month break from working with my doctor we will be starting back up on enzyme therapy again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment