The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



9.12.2011

Nearing the End of the Sugar Elimination

Today is day 13 of 14 of my no sugar, no carb elimination diet. Great things have happened. In the middle of the 2 weeks I spent several days so exhausted I could hardly function or stay awake all day. That was followed by 5 days of a terrible pounding headache, which also came along with elimination of horrible gas (sorry, TMI, that’s what this blog is all about!). After which, I discovered (and this is HUGE happy news) I CAN DIGEST RAW VEGETABLES!!! What a relief! I was so tired of eating heavy cooked foods, I felt like I couldn’t go on anymore. So, as of yesterday morning I’ve been crunching away on veggies. As I write I’m enjoying a large raw taco salad, something I haven’t been able to do in a very long time without feeling like I’ve just eaten sandpaper. Yesterday I ate 2 large handfuls of baby carrots and felt no discomfort at all, I used to get a stomach ache from just one single carrot. Amazing! The only downfall is that my blood sugar doesn’t feel quite as stable on raw veggies as it did on cooked, but it may just need time to adjust. It’s still nowhere near as out of control as it was before. A big plus to eating raw veggies is that I was getting quite constipated on the cooked foods, which I believe was playing a big roll in the headache, and the raw vegetable fiber seems to have me back to normal in the department. It’s just so exciting to feel like I’ve finally figured out what the stressor was that was causing my body so many issues… my 60-75% fruit diet with lots of raw desserts. In two days I will start trying different things and seeing what my body can now tolerate. I’ll keep you posted! I’m off to do my happy dance…

No comments:

Post a Comment