The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.23.2010

End of Cleanse Day 1

Drinking my morning tea


Caesar Salad with Sprouted Grain Croutons







I feel like I drank an ocean. I wouldn’t be surprised if my pores suddenly sprung leaks and water just started shooting out of me in all directions. I must have peed like a zillion times the past 3 days. And I’m nauseous. The first half of the day was pretty easy, but now I’m exhausted (its 11:30 at night and I needed to be asleep an hour ago) and I just feel sick all over. I’m just trying to remind myself that this is good, this means its WORKING. Before I started this cleanse I’d thought about how disappointed I would be if I just breezed through it without conflict. That would be bad. That would mean I’m not actually eliminating anything. I’m drawing from my experience with childbirth. When a woman feels her contractions getting stronger she’s inclined to tense up and get scared. I believe that’s counterproductive. I welcome strong contractions. The stronger they are the more my body is working for me and my baby. The stronger they are the more assured I am that everything is going perfectly and safely. The stronger they are the closer I am to holding my baby in my arms. So I’m trying to think that the more sick I feel the more my body is getting what it needs. These are only symptoms of detoxification. They are good. I am welcoming them. I don’t need these toxins any more. Its time to let go. Its amazing what we hold on to. Anger. Regret. Sickness. Fear. People. Sorrow. We don’t need these things. They build up in our bodies and sicken us at a cellular level. They fester and rot and breed disease. They kill us. Just let go of what you don’t need. If it isn’t serving a positive purpose, then you don’t need it.





I did jump the gun and start today off with an enema, which wasn’t in the plan until tomorrow, but I’m glad I did. When people hear the word enema they tense up. Why is that? I’ve been pondering it lately. Why are we so afraid of our anus’s? They are just as much a part of us as any other part. We should love ourselves from top to bottom, inside and out. No wonder colon cancer is so common. I’d be willing to bet it has a lot to do with the feelings we have toward that area of our bodies. When you think colon, or anus, what do you think? Shame, stink, poop, embarrassment, the unknown, darkness, immorality? Let’s be honest about it. What’s the deal? What’s keeping you from knowing yourself and loving yourself completely? I was terrified to do an enema. I put it off for years. I did my first one a few weeks ago. I was on the bathroom floor shaking before I did it because I was so scared. I don’t really know what I was so scared of… the unknown I suppose. But really there’s nothing to be afraid of at all. Enemas have been done since ancient times. A trend that has lasted that long must have some miraculous benefits! We really do need enemas, or better yet colonics (if you can afford them). Our health is too important to let the unknown scare us away from something so essential. I would recommend you do 2-4 enemas before you start a cleanse just to get the hang of it and to let go of your fears, if you have them. The idea of cleansing is to care for yourself, not to enter into some freaky world of unexplored sphincters and witch brewed tinctures. It took me a few tries to get an effective enema, and for that reason alone it’s a good idea to have a few practice runs. Once you try it you won’t be sorry. You have nothing to lose. I mean really, what’s the worst that can happen? You poo on the floor? So clean it up and try again. As they say, “Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.” And fruit is good!





Here is what I consumed today:
6:30 G.I. Gel
7:15 Herb Tinctures
7:30-8:00 Spring Tea
8:15-9:45 32 oz green smoothie (romaine, frozen strawberry, pineapple, mango, and peach) (as outlined below)
9:15 Blackberries, 6 oz
9:45 2 bananas
10:30-11:00 Namaste Tea
11:00 Orange
11:45 7 oz green smoothie
12:00 Herb Tinctures
12:30 G.I. Gel
1:00 Strawberries
1:30 raisins
1:45 almonds
3:15 red grapes
3:45-4:14 Spring Tea
4:45 banana
5:30 Caesar Salad with Sprouted Grain Crutons (recipe below)
6:00 Orange
7:15 almonds
9:30 Herb Tinctures
10:00 G.I. Gel
10:30 red grapefruit
11:00-11:30 Namaste Tea
11:30 L.B.T. Caps8:30-9:00 32 oz green smoothie





Caesar Salad

1 large bunch spinach (I forgot to buy it so I used mixed baby greens)
1 handful cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds, ground
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed (I used garlic powder)
½ lemon, juiced
½ - 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard (you can make this raw, I used bottled)
2 TBS extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
dash Celtic sea salt
sprinkle freshly ground white pepper

Place spinach/greens and tomatoes in a bowl. Grind pumpkin seeds and sprinkle over greens (this is the substitute for the Parmesan you’d find in conventional Caesar salad). In a small bowl combine garlic, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over spinach/greens and toss well.
Serves 2. Best eaten immediately.





How I made the croutons:I just took a few slices of Ezekiel bread (sesame flavor, because that’s what I had on hand). Ezekiel bread is a live sprouted grain bread that is cooked at a low temp to preserve nutrients as well as possible. It isn’t raw, but it is superior to other breads as it is “live” and contains no flour or sugar. It makes a great transition food, or an occasional treat. The cinnamon raisin lightly toasted with coconut oil is like a dessert! Anyway, I took a few slices and spread a thin layer of coconut oil on both sides. Then I sprinkled dried parsley, garlic powder, and sea salt on both sides, pressing it into the oil with my butter knife to get it to stick. After that I cut the bread into crouton-sized squares and put them into the dehydrator for about 5 hours. They were delicious on the salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment