The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.28.2010

End of Cleanse Day 6

Just Plain Nutty Bars


Big news! I dropped into the one-teens for the first time in my life this morning!!!! 119 lbs. That is amazing! So I have one more cleanse day left, followed by 2 post-cleanse days to ease me back into the real world. Today was insanely busy, exhausting, and frustrating. And I was tired. The boys and the dog have been waking me up constantly all week and drinking so much water I have to get up like every hour to pee as well. Plus, I’m up until about 11:30 getting the last of my cleansing stuff down. I’m just not able to function unless I’m ASLEEP by 10:30, probably because I get woken up so much, and I need to sleep until at least 7 am. I haven’t had a single full night of sleep in 4 ½ years. The D.C.s at Kolby’s school have told me that has a lot to do with my pain levels. I don’t get enough sleep to make the hormones I need to make the natural pain relievers we all have. So someone who actually sleeps is numb to the feelings of the body constantly breaking down and rebuilding itself, but I am not so much. Lack of sleep also aggravates fibromyalgia. But what can I do? Drug the kids? Riiiiiight. If I were going to do that I wouldn’t have refused meds during childbirth! So anyway, today Kolby spent outside building a HUGE compost bin, I’m talking 18 ft long, 4 feet wide and 4 ft high. HUGE. The vegetables will be happy, and happy veggies make happy bodies. I was inside cleaning, as I always am when we have people for dinner. Last night we had the missionaries over. I LOVE having dinners with people, but more than one a week tears me apart. Combined with the stress of trying to get everything together for Juelie’s party and for having family in town this weekend the stress is just way to high for me to be a happy, or nice, person. There are so many tiny details and if I miss just one the whole thing will come crashing down. Little things like, remember to take the sprouted buns out of the freezer the day before, and planning cooked and raw meals for everyone, plus the party food. I have to make everything for the party on Friday and I have NO CLUE how all the food, plus all the food we need to stock up on for everyone who will be here during the weekend, is going to fit in the fridge! So Friday is going to be the craziest day ever, with people coming into town and cleaning and food prep all day. Then Saturday morning I need to decorate, clean some more, and get ready for the baptism. And manage to keep my sanity so I can actually feel the Spirit. Lol

I didn’t make the best possible choices at dinner, I did have some basmati and wild rice, steamed veggies, and sugary, cooked, bottled salad dressing. It always seems to go that way when we have people over. I can’t come up with something good enough that the kids and I don’t end up feeling deprived, so I make the healthiest cooked parts of the meals that I can and we eat it with salad and digestive enzymes. I really don’t like the clogged feeling, or the fact that then the kids get hooked and start begging me for “bad” food all day long.

Today I consumed:
7:45 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures
8:00-9:00 Spring Tea
9:15-9:45 32 oz green smoothie
10:30 apple
11:45 3 orange slices, 1 cantalope slice
12:00-2:00 Namaste Tea
12:15 banana
1:00 raisins
2:00 grapes
3:00 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures
3:45 4 orange slices
4:00-4:30 Spring Tea
4:30-6:30 20 oz green smoothie
5:45 basmati rice medley with cooked and raw vegetables
bok choy (steamed) with garlic ginger sauce
green salad with French dressing (bottled/cooked)
Just Plain Nutty Bar (recipe below)
9:30 red grapefruit
10:30 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures, L.B.T. Caps
10:30-10:45 Namaste Tea

Today’s recipe:

Just Plain Nutty Bars
I adapted this recipe from a random one I found online.

1 cup raw almond butter
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup flax seeds, ground
¼ cup pecans, ground
4-5 medjool dates
pinch of sea salt (I used Himalayan), to taste
squirt of raw agave (optional, to taste)
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional, to taste)

Process all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender. Shape into bars and dehydrate several hours. Serve warm or refrigerate. They are soft and crumbly but harden a bit when refrigerated, but they are delicious warm! These would be out of this world if made with raw, aphalatoxin-free peanut butter (order from http://www.sunfood.com/). You could do ½ c. almond butter, ½ c. peanut butter, or all peanut butter but it may be too soft.

Makes 8 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment