The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.20.2010

A Few Words Before I Cleanse

I’ve done cleanses before. A couple, maybe 4 or 5, Isagenix cleanses, a yeast cleanse, and a parasite cleanse. But it’s been almost a year since my last one (which was a 30-day Isagenix cleanse), and I haven’t done one quite like this before. For this cleanse I will be using a kit from The Herbalist (www.theherbalist.com) called the Detox-It Kit, which is for the digestive tract, liver and gall bladder, adrenals, and hormone balance. I will also be doing gall bladder/liver flushes and enemas, as well as healthy practices like yoga, aerobic exercise, deep breathing, dry brushing, etc. These things are all very new to me!

Why this cleanse? All of my pregnancies have been hard, but this last one really tore my body up. My last child was born in November of 2008 and since then my health has really not been good. During that pregnancy I discovered I was hypoglycemic, rather severely, and am still very much struggling with that. I was swollen all over for almost a year after he was born. For about 6 months I couldn’t walk up the stairs in our house because my knees hurt so bad and were so swollen. I topped out at 190 lbs. I was just plain sick all of the time. Most of the time I can’t even drive my kids anywhere because I have random bouts of dizziness, they come out of nowhere and can last for up to a day. I used to have little black outs too, but haven’t had one of those in a while, maybe 5 months or so. Because of all of this (if you haven’t read previous posts) I began transitioning to a raw vegan diet about 8 months ago. I’ve lost about 68 pounds and my health has been improving, but I feel like I’ve hit a wall. I’m still having a lot of digestive issues, which I have had since my baby was born. At any given time I can hear and feel gas moving around and it comes it without warning wherever I am… how embarrassing! My bowel movements (btw if you don’t want to hear about bodily functions you’re listening to the wrong girl) are indicative of liver toxicity. Hypoglycemia is caused by digestive and gall bladder problems. I’ve been told by several healers that my gall bladder is very toxic, though I’ve yet to have an attack (knocking on wood). I have also heard that a woman who has had multiple pregnancies should always do gall bladder flushes, that they use to take women right to the OR for gall bladder removal after the birth or her second child because gall bladder problems in multigravida women are so common. Despite eating a raw food diet I am still tired most of the time and having trouble staying asleep at night. My fibromyalgia symptoms have improved some but I am still in pain (muscle tension and pain is a common symptom of colon issues). I guess in general I feel I should be moving forward in health with my diet, but I’ve stayed the same for months. Also, my body is a size 2, except my midsection, which is a size 10. That’s not normal or right or healthy! That alone tells me there are issues going on in there. The average person has 10-15 lbs of fecal matter stuck and rotting in their colon. I’d like not to have that in there. The fact that my uncle died of colon cancer just a few short weeks ago gives me all the more reason to begin chipping away at all the sludge I’ve put into my body my whole life now, before its too late. Colon cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death by cancer in this country. Someone dies from it every 9.3 minutes. I am not going to one of those people, are you? The choice is yours.

This cleanse is for my Uncle Gene. I promise you the pain you suffered will not be in vein, because I will take what I know and teach those who want a better life for themselves so that they will not have to endure the same pains, and I know that you’ll be there to guide me. I love you and miss you so much, and am so grateful for the man that you are, for the impressions you left on me, and more than anything for the times you stood up for me when no one else had the guts. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes on your cleanse. I'll be doing one very soon. You provided some very helpful information.

    Hang in there and do your thing. Have a great day!

    http://evelynparham.com

    ReplyDelete