The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.27.2010

End of Cleanse Day 4

Sunburger on Ezeikiel Bread (minus the crust)


My jaw and neck are a slight bit better today. Yesterday was hard only because of the pain, otherwise nothing really remarkable. I have been a little irritable lately… or maybe the whole rest of the world is just being more annoying than usual… or maybe its because this week is going to be insane trying to prepare to have family in town and throw a huge baptism/birthday part for Juels on Saturday, it will by far be the biggest party we’ve ever had at our house (40+ guests so far). AND I just check weather.com and saw that we’re supposed to have scattered thunderstorms all day. Its supposed to be an outdoor garden party and there’s no way we can fit 40 people in our tiny house, so pray for sun!!!


I’m having some trouble with the recipes I’d planned for this cleanse because Whole Foods was out of buckwheat groats, which I needed for several recipes and now my schedule is all messed up. I had to plan carefully because a lot of things need to be in the dehydrator for a day or more so I had to schedule the dehydrator for certain meals. I’m not really sure what I’m going to do now.

Here’s what I consumed today:
9:00 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures
9:30-10.30 32 oz green smoothie
3:30 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures
1:00 almonds
1:30 12 strawberries
1:45 banana
1:45-3:15 Spring Tea
2:30 raisins, 1 small sunflower/dried fruit bar
3:30 3 orange slices
4:30 32 oz green smoothie
6:00 green salad, sunburger (recipe below) on ½ slice Ezekiel bread topped with lettuce, 1 stuffed mushroom
8:00 banana
8:45-9:15 Spring Tea
10:15 2 grapefuits
11:15 G.I. Gel, Herb Tinctures, L.B.T. Caps


Sunburgers

By Ani Phyo, Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen (http://www.aniphyo.com/)


2 stalks celery, chopped (about ¾ cup)
¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp oregano, fresh or dried
1 cup sunflower seeds, ground
½ cup flax seeds, ground
½ cup filtered water

To make burgers, put all the ingredients in a bowl, adding the water last. Mix well. Form into balls and flatten into patties. If you’d like a firmer patty, dehydrate the burgers for 3 hours at 104 degrees and serve warm. Top burgers with sliced tomato and lettuce, and serve with your favorite raw bread and condiments.


My note: This is the 3rd time I’ve made these. The flavor is delicious, but I swore I’d never make them again because the texture, even after dehydrating 3-4 hours, is like canned dog food. I decided to give it one last try and dehydrate them longer to see if I could get them more the texture of a meat burger. I had them in the dehydrator 9 hours and they were WONDERFUL! Next time I think I may even go another 2-3 hours. My dehydrator tends to take longer than recipes say it should, so yours may be different as well. Just leave them in, flipping every few hours, until they’re to your liking. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment