The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.24.2010

End of Cleanse Day 2

Today was much easier. Not that yesterday was particularly hard, I just felt like I was forcing water and herbal drinks down like crazy. I was actually gagging on water halfway through the day. And the tea was worse. I’ve never liked tea anyway, it just isn’t enjoyable to me. I’ve only ever used it medicinally and then I have to really force it down. But today was good. I kept thinking I was forgetting to take stuff and checking my daily checklist, but I was right on track. It just seemed too easy in comparison to yesterday. Maybe my body is just adjusting to the large amounts of fluids or something. I’ve never been great about getting in enough fluids so my body doesn’t really know what to do when it’s well hydrated. I didn’t get much sleep last night between the dog acting crazy and waking me up over and over, the baby waking up about every 30 minutes fussy and congested and wanting to nurse, and having to pee at least once an hour. So I am tired today, and I have a little bit of a headache tonight. Today was crazy busy. Its 9:30 and this is the first time I’ve sat down except to eat dinner. Speaking of which , I’m VERY excited about today’s recipe! Today was a breakthrough day. For 9 ½ months I’ve been trying recipes only to be disappointed over and over. Normally I consider anything that doesn’t make me gag a success. But today’s recipe was DELICIOUS! I now have 1 meal item on the menu that the kids and I really enjoy eating. Yay! Also, today was mine and Kolby’s 5 year anniversary! We didn’t get to spend much time together because we were so busy so that was a bummer, but we are very excited to have made it 5 years and look forward to the next 55!

Here’s what I consumed today:

8:15 G.I. Gel & Herb Tinctures
9:15-11:00 32 oz green smoothie (red leaf lettuce, frozen strawberry, pineapple, mango, and peach) (as outlined below)
11:30 orange
12:00 Herb Tinctures
12:00-12:30 Namaste Tea
12:15 blackberries, 3 oz
12:30 G.I. Gel
1:00 raisins
1:30 almonds
1:45-3:00 32 oz green smoothie
3:30 banana
4:45 4 black mission figs
5:15-6:30 Spring Tea
6:00 chkin salad wraps (recipe below)
4 asparagus spears with olive oil, garlic powder, and sea salt
“Easy As Pie” Cool Lemon Cream Pie (recipe below)
7:00 canatlope
8:00-9:00 Spring Tea
8:00 3 bites Lemon Cream Pie (Behn didn’t finish his second piece, lucky me!)
9:30 G.I. Gel & Herb Tinctures
10:00-11:00 Namaste Tea
10:00 red grapes
11:00 L.B.T. Caps
12:00 banana

Raw Chkin Salad
I found this recipe online, its AMAZING, and I don’t know who to credit it to : ( Sorry to whoever wrote this!

1/2 cup sunflower seeds (soaked 3 hours)
1/2 cup cashews (soaked 3 hours)
1/4 cup gound pecans
2 inch piece of cucumber
1 tablespoon onion (I used 3 green onions, bulbs and greens chopped)
1/2 celery stick
½ carrot
1 teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
half a lemon's juice (I used a quarter)
1 teaspoon salt
lots of ground black pepper

Directions:Pulse all together. It should be a finer texture than regular tofu chicken salad. That helps it to stick together. No need to add water if it seems it won't stick. The cucumber and nuts and carrot should release water after it sits. This is delish! Add to your fav raw bread! Keep in fridge for a week. Makes: 2-4 servings

My note: I spread this on lettuce leaves and rolled them, it was sooo good! The kids had there’s on Ezekiel bread with lettuce. You could also serve this on raw or whole grain crackers (depending on where you are in your transition).


“Easy As Pie” Cool Lemon Cream Pie
From Carol Alt’s book The Raw 50

Handful of cashews
Handful of raw almonds (I used 2 handfuls)
Handful of pitted dates
2 TBS raw carob powder (I omitted this, the only way to get raw carob is to order it online)
1 ripe banana
½ cup shredded raw coconut, unsweetened and unsulphered
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 TBS flax oil

Combine the cashews, almonds, dates, and carob poder in the food processor and finely chop until the mixture is crumblike. Add purified water by the teaspoon until the mixture sticks together. Dump the crumbs into a glass pie plate and press onto the bottom and up the sides to form a crust. (My note: It doesn’t need to go all the way to the top of the pan, this is a shallow pie.)
Place the crust in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
While the crust chills, combine the banana, coconut, lemon juice, and flax seed oil in a blended and whir until the texture is smooth and creamy. Fill the pie shell with the mixture, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer. Serve cold, cut into wedges. My note: I don’t have a food processor so I used my Vitamix. The dough didn’t turn out crumbly, more like paste (which is why I added the extra almonds, it was a little too sticky). I also ground up a small handful of almonds and sprinkled them in the pie pan before I put the dough in to keep it from sticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment