The Many Misadventures of an Aspiring Raw-Foodist

The purpose of this blog is to give you a realistic view of the transition to a raw vegan life and the restoration of health. It isn't always easy. I don't always feel amazing. But in the end it is worth it. My hope is that I can inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.



4.21.2010

End Of Pre-Cleanse Day 1

Todays recipe: Flax Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup

A typical dinner at our house, isn't it beautiful?? I'm learning there's no such thing as "just a salad."



I woke up this morning 1 pound lighter and 2” smaller around my waist, so I would say pre-cleanse day 1 was a great success! 1 pound at my size is a lot of weight, and I would have been happy with 2” from the entire cleanse. Of course, I’ve cleansed before, I know how it goes. The first few days you drop weight fast and then the middle part moves very slowly, usually dropping more the last 2 days. It’s that middle part that’s so hard. That’s when all the cravings hit and your not seeing fast results like you did at first.

Big announcement, yesterday was my FIRST EVER 100% raw day!!!! I hadn’t really intended to do it, I just started out the day so well I decided to see if I COULD do it, and I did! I didn’t miss cooked food at all. I am shocked!

Yesterday was a bit of a stressful day. My husband is in Chiropractic school and didn’t do well on one of his finals, so he may be expelled from school and not allowed back. This is a BIG deal considering we are 3 years into our Chiropractic school journey and should he be expelled for good we would be left with a tremendous amount of debt and no means to pay for it. It’s pretty scary. Still, I told him when we first met that he looked like a Chiropractor (he was working toward becoming an M.D.), I knew then that is what he’s meant to do and I know it now more than ever. So I will continue to pray and have faith, and your prayers would be greatly appreciated as well. He has worked so unbelievably hard at school and trying to support our family. He is a wonderful man and deserves so much to succeed in school. Once he graduates I have no concerns really. He managed a Chiropractic office for several years and has done countless screenings. He knows how to run a practice and he can adjust as well as anyone at his level, he just needs to pass these darn science classes!

So here is what I consumed yesterday:

6:45 G.I. Gel
8:30 4 slices orange
9:00-10:30 32 oz blueberry/strawberry/spinach green smoothie (as outlined below)
9:30 2 bites banana
11:00 orange
12:15 1/3 large cantaloupe
1:00 ½ cup raisins
1:30 almonds
2:15 8 oz green smoothie
3:00 red pear
4:30 almonds
5:00 2 raw flax pancakes with blueberry syrup
6:30 large (dinner plate sized) salad (organic mixed baby greens, avocado, tomato, cucumber, red pepper, fresh squeezed lemon juice)
8:15 G.I. Gel
9:00 red grapefruit
9:30 L.B.T. caps
10:00 green grapes


The reason I like to include everything I’m eating here is that people frequently ask me what I eat. As in, “You don’t eat anything cooked??!! What DO you eat then?!” I say raw fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds, but even I have to admit that sounds rather sad and empty… people really don’t realize what an abundance that is. Not only are there THOUSANDS of varieties of fruits and veggies in the world, as well as many varieties of nuts and seeds, but using those as ingredients you can make an unlimited number of delicious raw creations. Even if you’re not into the raw culinary arts, just eating plain fruits and veggies you could try a new one every day of your life and still never come close to trying them all! People automatically will say, “I couldn’t go without my sugar!” What they don’t realize is there is a whole world of healthy raw desserts to enjoy.



So here is the recipe for today:




Flax Pancakes

1-½ cups ground flax seeds (I grind mine in a coffee grinder, or you can buy pre-ground)
2 TBS coconut oil
1 banana, mashed
sea salt, to taste
cinnamon, to taste (I just put in a sprinkle)

Combine well in a bowl. Shape in to small 3” pancakes and place in dehydrator at a low temp until they reach your desired dryness. I did about 8 hours and they were a little too dry. I think 4-5 hours would have been better in my dehydrator. Serve with a little pure maple syrup or blueberry syrup (recipe below).
Makes 9 pancakes.


Blueberry Syrup

1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
2-3 dates, soaked for a few hours
juice squeezed from 1 orange
½ vanilla bean, scraped (or ½ - 1 tsp alcohol-free vanilla flavor)

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. You can pour over pancakes like this, or pour onto a dehydrator sheet and place in the dehydrator for the last hour and have warm pancakes with warm syrup.




Feeling great and looking forward to pre-cleanse day 2!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment